Skip to main content

Chillicothe / Livingston County E-911 Coordinator Cindy Hanavan applied for and received two grants in 2020 through the Office of Homeland Security / Department of Public Safety for the Next Generation 911. The Chillicothe Police Department reports that federal grants will pay for 60% of the total cost of the project, and the city / county will pay the remaining 40%. The total cost of the grants is $ 63,825. The Town of Chillicothe and the County of Livingston will be responsible for $ 38,295.

The first grant was for 911 mapping. The new 911 mapping will be site-based rather than cloud-based. Chillicothe Police note that the current 911 system is based in Kansas and includes mapping. This will change over the next few months to a site-based system that will be hosted at the Chillicothe Police Department, where the 911 center is located.

Calls made now go from Livingston County to Lenexa, Kansas, and then to the Chillicothe Police Department. It was the same for cartography.

Once the project is complete, all calls will go directly to the police department. The police service notes that communications officers and emergency services will respond more quickly to the caller or at the scene.

Livingston County also now has a program called Rapid SOS, which helps locate the 911 caller if they are moving around and talking on a cell phone.

The second grant was for two mobile laptops for cases where the communication center needs to move to another building. An example of why he might need to relocate is an incident that damages the communications center and makes it unsafe for communications officers to remain in the building. Laptops can be brought to the Chillicothe Fire Department and dispatch can be done from a storm-protected room.

The Chillicothe Police Report touchscreen monitors were also purchased to better help communications officers switch between screens during calls. They have four monitors per station. Department notes having touchscreen monitors allow officers to maneuver between screens faster without having to find the right mouse for the monitor.

The Chillicothe / Livingston County Communications Center sends calls to all Livingston County emergency services. Police say the goal is to make dispatching of calls and processes more efficient for citizens, emergency services and dispatchers, as well as to make things safer for everyone.


Views of the publication:
110